Armenian Cheese Rolls
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. Feta cheese
Cilantro to taste (1/2 bunch)
12 Black Olives
Whole wheat tortillas or flat bread
- Blend cream cheese and feta cheese together. If needed, add a bit of water from feta to make mixture creamier.
- Chop cilantro fine and add to mixture.
- Use as a spread or roll into flat bread or whole wheat tortillas with slices of green pepper and pitted black olives. (Could also use the small cocktail bread)
1 lb beef (with or without bones)
1 lb red beets (3 average ones)
½ lb shredded cabbage
4 small potatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
parsley, dill, and spring onions
- Preparing meat broth: Put beef into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Remove grease and froth from the broth with a spoon. Add one onion. Cook at low heat for l or two hours.
- Simmering red beets: Melt one tablespoon of margarine in a saucepan. Cut red beets into thin sticks. Add tomato paste and simmer at low heat for one hour. Add broth if there is not enough liquid. Add vinegar.
- Pan frying vegetables: Melt one tablespoon margarine in a frying pan. Add chopped onions and carrots cut into thin sticks. Cover and sauté for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat broth to boiling. Add chopped cabbage and potatoes cut into bars. Cook for 5 minutes. Add sauté and cook another 10 minutes. Add simmered red beets and cook another 5 minutes. Add salt, black pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve with sour cream.
2 ½ lb boneless beef
4 tbsp flour
4 tbsp ketchup
5 oz sour cream
2 c broth
1 tbsp flour pounded with butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the meat lengthwise and beat the pieces a little. After that cut the pieces into strips about 2 in. long and ½ in. wide. Season and roll them in flour.
- Fry chopped onion in the pan and when it is golden brown, put the strips in the pan. Fry on hot heat until the meat is light brown.
- Make a sauce: Fry 1 tbsp of flour pounded with butter for a few minutes, add sour cream, broth, ketchup, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over meat and stew on low heat for 15-20 minutes. Don’t let sauce boil. Serve with fried potatoes.
CLASSIC GEORGIAN SALAD
6 Cucumbers diced
1 peeled and sliced medium sweet onion
4 tomatoes chopped into small pieces
vinegar-mixed fresh greens (coriander, basil, flat-leaf parsley, dill) salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients, mixing well and chilling thoroughly before serving.
RUSSIAN FRUIT SALAD
1 or 2 apples
2 c of green grapes
2 c of yogurt
½ to 1 c powdered sugar
Peel bananas and oranges. Chop all fruit into cubes. Combine the fruit with the yogurt and top with the sugar.